On July 1, 2023 Google will retire Universal Analytics and replace it with their next-generation measurement solution, Google Analytics 4 (GA4). To continue using Google Analytics, we highly recommend you make the switch to Google Analytics 4 as soon as possible.
Understanding the Changes
- Beginning in March 2023, if you haven't already created a GA4 property, Google will create one for you, unless you opt out. This new property will be based on the settings in your Universal Analytics property. If you have created a GA4 property, and that property is connected to a Universal Analytics property, Google will copy over any configurations (e.g., goals, audiences, etc.) from your Universal Analytics property that you have not marked as complete in your GA4 property, unless you opt out. Learn more
- Until July 1, 2023, you can continue to use and collect new data in your Universal Analytics properties.
- After July 1, 2023, you'll be able to access your previously processed data in your Universal Analytics property for at least six months. Google strongly encourages you to export your historical reports during this time.
- In the coming months, Google will provide a future date for when existing Universal Analytics properties will no longer be available. After this future date, you'll no longer be able to see your Universal Analytics reports in the Analytics interface or access your Universal Analytics data via the API.
Am I affected by this Change?
- If the web property was created prior to October 14, 2020, it is likely you are using a Universal Analytics property.
- If the web property was createde after October 14, 2020, it is likely that you are using a Google Analytics 4 property already, and no action is required.
- If you aren't sure which Analytics tool you are using, Google offers a way for you to confirm which type of property you're using.
Does Stacks Support Google Analytics 4.0?
Yes. Stacks supports Google Analytics 4.0 and will continue to support Universal Analytics until it's retired.
How Do I update Stacks once I've migrated or created a new GA4 Property?
Once you have completed the migration steps in Google Analytics, or have created a new GA4 property, you will need to update the Web Property ID in the Stacks dashboard for Google Analytics to continue receiving and processing your Stacks site data.
- Navigate to the Google Analytics Dashboard Page
(Main Dashboard > System Configuration > Google Analytics).
- Update the Web Property ID field with your Google Tag ID (G-##########).
- Click the Save Configuration Button.